Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Small word problems...

Just a short one to mention the latest language problem I have been dealt with....

For fun, I call colleagues by (what I thought were) endearing names - for example - mama martine (self explanatory), or
schatti-lou (cutie-lou) for Nathalie, Beffy for stefanie and Befke for Jeff (notice how the last two are almost the same...) - Imaging my shock when I found out that the word 'Beff' (or Beffen to be more precise) is the verb in dutch for 'the act of a female being gone down on' or cunnalingis! (Notice how polite I write this - I could use a more descriptive definition, but wish to convince my parents that I am not completely marginal!) Once again, I have used this incredibly inappropriately, and it wasnt until someone else laughed at my familiarity with a male colleague (which I thought was harmless...) that I picked up on it.

They should be smarter like the english speakers and choose a word for this 'action' which doesnt rhyme with a relatively common name...

Dunno if it beats the use of the verb vingeren (fingering) to my boss by accident when I meant to use the plural for fingers... (many plurals end in 'en').

No comments: